Archive for the ‘e-Resources’ Category
Anti-apartheid and southern Africa solidarity collection at the International Institute for Social History (IISH) in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
In 2008 the IISH acquired an extensive collection of archival materials relating to the anti-apartheid and southern Africa solidarity groups in The Netherlands. It concerns the archives and related library and documentary collections of the three former anti-apartheid groups which merged into the Netherlands institute for Southern Africa (NiZA) in 1997. The collected archives consist of documents from organisations such as the South Africa Committee (from the 1960s), the Dutch Anti-Apartheid Movement, the Angola Committee/Holland Committee on Southern Africa, the Eduardo Mondlane Foundation, Institute for Southern Africa and Broadcasting for Radio Freedom.
Since then the archivist of the collection, Kier Schuringa, processed all the audio-visual materials of the former anti-apartheid groups in the IISH collection, including some 13,500 photographs and over 500 slides, 1100 posters, 300 buttons 800 video-tapes, exhibition materials, t-shirts, audio cassettes, etc, Also, the archives of the South Africa Committee and the Dutch Anti-Apartheid Movement have been processed, including the production of full inventories. Currently, the Archives of the Angola Committee/Holland Committee on Southern Africa are being processed.
The results if this work, including many scans of the visual materials, can be seen on the IISH website. A useful introduction to the collection can be found here and which also features a background section, including links and a webdossier on the history of the anti-apartheid solidarity movement in The Netherlands (also in English).
Contributed by Kier Schuringa
The latest issue of Code4Lib is now available. The contents are as follows:
- Openness [Editorial Introduction] by Andrew Darby
- Infomaki: An Open Source, Lightweight Usability Testing Tool by Michael Lascarides
- library/mobile: Tips on Designing and Developing Mobile Web Sites by Kim Griggs, Laurie M. Bridge and, Hannah Gascho Rempel
- Automated Metadata Formatting for Cornell’s Print-on-Demand Books By Dianne Dietrich
- Ead McTaggart: Using VBA to Automate EAD Container List Tagging by Randall Miles
- Automatic Preparation of ETD Material from the Internet Archive for the DSpace Repository Platform by Tim Ribaric